Care & Community Village Project in Samoa Alternative Schoolies Projects
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Cost: $2,945
- Placement location: Fasito'o Tai village on Upolu Island
- Types of placements: Primary school and community projects
- Accommodation: Host Families
- PROJECTS ABROAD BASE: Apia (pop: 38,000)
- LOCAL GREETING: Talofa (Hello), Fa’afetai (Thank you)
- LANGUAGES SPOKEN: Samoan, English
- LOCAL DISH: Panipopo - sweet coconut buns
Volunteer and live in a traditional Samoan village situated right on the coast of Upolu Island. Get ready to eat, dance, speak and ultimately live like a local.
You will become a part of the community and learn to understand the way Samoans live. You will also get involved in a number of community-focused initiatives both in a local school and the village at large.
As the school year winds up for Christmas you will help to organise fun and engaging activities which seek to encourage improved literacy and reading comprehension. This will give you a real chance to connect with the children and add some lively activities to their day after a busy exam period.
You will also work on clean-up and renovation work in the garden, playground and classrooms at the school, as well as a nutrition and healthy living programme aimed at improving health and fitness outcomes in the community.
Living with your host family will allow you to experience the Samoan way of life, from eating and cooking their food, to going to church, to understanding the village chief system. Samoans are famous for their hospitality and you will quickly become part of the family.