Volunteer Nursing Projects in Senegal
Projects Abroad offers volunteering placements in Nursing to those looking to gain work experience abroad. Volunteers on this project will work in public hospitals in and around St Louis, Senegal. These placements offer a fantastic insight into how local procedures and patient support are carried out in Senegal compared to back home.
If you wish to do a Nursing project with us in Senegal, you must be a recent graduate or a qualified nurse, and have a good level of French. If you satisfy these requirements, then your presence at one of our two main placements is sure to be appreciated. You may also get the opportunity to go out on healthcare outreach projects in the local community, where you will work with local street children, known as Talibés.
- Placement location: St Louis
- Role: To gain valuable nursing experience volunteering alongside dedicated local staff
- Type of placements: Hospitals, medical centres and outreach work at centres for street children
- Requirements: Volunteers must be recent graduates or qualified nurses, and speak French to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Your Role in Senegal
You will be working alongside local doctors and nurses. You will get to observe patients with a number of medical conditions, and can also choose to specialise in areas such as paediatrics and maternity wards. As a volunteer, you will play an important role in providing emotional support to many patients.
Showing initiative and building a good relationship with your colleagues will enable you to get the most out of your placement. However, please be aware that the facilities will be basic, and treatments are sometimes not of the same standard as those in your home country.
You should be prepared to see some shocking cases and try not to get emotionally involved with the patients. Your working hours will usually be decided on a weekly basis, in cooperation with your supervisor and a Projects Abroad staff member.
If you do not have the required experience to be accepted on one of our Nursing placements then you may be interested in our Care placements in Senegal.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Senegal Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.