Social Work Internship in Bolivia
- Placement locations: Cochabamba
- Role: Work alongside a trained psychologist or social worker providing assistance and care to the local community.
- Requirements: Must be enrolled in a social work programme at university or be studying related subjects, and have an intermediate level of Spanish
- Type of placement: Children’s homes or care centre
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Bolivia is one of the poorer countries in Latin America, and faces a number of socio-economic challenges. In most instances, children are the group most affected by these issues. There is a constant need for volunteers to help alleviate some of these problems and work toward solutions. As a Projects Abroad Social Work Intern, you will be placed in a care centre in Cochabamba, Bolivia and work alongside a locally trained supervisor to provide support, care and treatment to the local community.
The Social Work Internship in Bolivia is the perfect opportunity for students who are hoping to put their theoretical knowledge into practice, while learning more about the many challenges common in developing countries.
Your role on a Social Work Internship in Bolivia
You can use the knowledge and training gained during your studies at university to help local staff. You can assist on tasks such as:
- Assisting local staff with daily tasks
- Helping with the general care of children living in care centres
- Sharing your knowledge with local staff to improve current practices
- Creating and updating reports
- Preparing and presenting workshop material for staff and the community
- Promoting awareness of social challenges in Bolivia
- Producing assessments of children and adults, under the supervision of a qualified professional
Taking part in the Social Work Internship will give you a chance to help people in a developing country, while gaining the practical experience required for your university studies. This valuable experience will put you in contact with a qualified professional, who will supervise and assist you with your hands-on learning. You will be encouraged to think on your feet and apply yourself daily.
Your time in Bolivia will also consist of sharing your culture with the staff, your host family and the community you work with. Our hope at Projects Abroad is that you will not only share your background, but also gain an understanding and deep respect for the cultural similarities and differences of the people you are helping in Bolivia.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
To take part in the Social Work Internship, you have to be enrolled in a social work course in university or be studying related subjects.
Meaningful communication with local staff and the community is important during this project, so an intermediate level of Spanish is recommended. If you are interested in taking Spanish lessons while in Bolivia, please read about the language courses we have on offer.
If you are interested in this project but aren’t studying in this field, then please read about our standard Care project in Bolivia.