Our Medical Internships are among the most popular projects we offer and for good reason. Medicine interns travel to the world’s most incredible destinations, develop skills, and provide medical care and education to those who need it.
When you do a Medical Internship abroad, you gain more than just experience. During your trip, you’ll be immersed in a different culture, helping you build empathy. Create lifelong memories with fellow interns as you explore a new country.
Now’s the time to book your Medical Internship abroad for next year!
Our top 5 Medical Internships for 2023:
- Medicine Internship - Tanzania
- Medical Internship - Nepal
- Medical Internship - Peru
- Medicine Internship - Cambodia
- Medical Internship - Ghana
Find out more about each project below. And don’t forget to browse our Medicine Projects to see the full range of destinations looking for Medical volunteers.
Which Medical Internship is Right for You?
- Aged 15-18? Choose a High School Special Medicine Internship. Become a Medical volunteer, even if you don’t have any experience.
- Aged 16+ and considering a career in medicine? While some Medicine Internships come with requirements, many do not, besides an interest in healthcare and a willingness to learn.
- Medical student? Choose a Medical Elective that will be tailored to your experience level, with opportunities to complete more complicated work. Do a medical student internship abroad to gain the experience you need to graduate.
5 Best Medical Internships Abroad
Ready to become a Medical intern? Here are the five best Medicine Projects to consider for 2023.
1) Medicine Internship in Tanzania
Home to the world’s most incredible wildlife, including the African Big Five, Tanzania is the ideal destination for animal fans. You’ll live in the city of Arusha, working in a health clinic or hospital. Although it’s a built-up urban area, you’ll be at the gateway to some of Africa’s most scenic national parks.
There is a great need for Medical interns in Arusha, where hospitals are often poorly maintained, understaffed, and under-resourced. Your help will be hugely appreciated, but expect a fast-paced, busy environment. Weekend safaris and hikes around Kilimanjaro are the perfect way to relieve stress.
- No medical experience necessary.
- Provide support where it’s most needed.
- Give checkups to those who can’t afford them.
- Live surrounded by mountains and stunning scenery
- Spot lions, elephants, and more on a safari.
- Help provide crucial support to hospitals in Kathmandu.
- Work alongside renowned medical staff in Chitwan.
- Offer health checkups and advice to citizens in rural areas.
- Marvel at the majesty of the Himalayas.
- Explore ancient temples and visit a national park.
- Interact with other interns in one of our most popular destinations.
3) Medical Internship Peru
60% of Peru is covered by the Amazon Rainforest, making it a country of incredible biodiversity. With a rugged landscape comprising forests, mountains, coastlines, and deserts, it can be hard for everyone to receive adequate healthcare. That’s why interns like you are needed.
Medicine interns are based in the mystical city of Cusco, which was the capital of the Incan Empire. Wander ancient streets that are draped across the Andes Mountains. This is also a common starting point for anyone wishing to visit the spectacular site of Machu Picchu.
Cusco’s hospitals and health centres tend to be busy and understaffed. Infectious disease is a major challenge here and you’ll observe first-hand how medical professionals are working to keep the population safe.
Note: Although you don’t need medical experience to complete this internship, you should speak intermediate Spanish to communicate with hospital staff and patients.
- Immerse yourself in a fast-paced medical environment.
- Provide free checkups to patients who can’t afford them.
- A chance to perfect your Spanish language skills.
- Live in an incredible mountain setting.
- Walk through the canopy of the Amazon Rainforest.
- Visit Machu Picchu - one of the world’s most famous wonders.
- Suitable for more experienced medical students.
- Work in busy, modern hospitals.
- Shadow English-speaking doctors.
- Complete basic health checks in underprivileged areas.
- Trek in the jungle or spot dolphins at the beach.
- Explore the sublime and spiritual Angkor Wat.
- No experience needed.
- Work in an English-speaking country.
- Detect tropical diseases like malaria.
- Help educate locals on living a healthy lifestyle.
- Dance to local music or explore slave forts in Cape Coast.
- Cross the jungle canopy in Kakum National Park.
Next Steps for Aspiring Interns
Ready to start your journey towards becoming a Medical intern? We’ll support you every step of the way.
- Get in touch to let us know which destinations you’re interested in.
- Discuss with us your unique circumstances, needs, and ambitions.
- We offer suggestions about which Medicine Project may be right for you.
- Submit the simple online application form and pay your $495 deposit.
- Begin your preparations, start fundraising, and make your final payment.
- Head out on the adventure of a lifetime!
- Return with new skills, medical experience, and lifelong memories.
Medical Internships are a chance to discover new worlds while building up crucial experience in medicine. Whether you want to advance your career or just help out in disadvantaged communities, this is an opportunity not to miss.
Want to Join a Medicine Internship?